Sunday, February 26, 2012

Restaurant Review: Eggless Dessert Cafe, Goodwood SA

After our dinner at Lychie Restaurant last night, we decided to try Eggless Dessert Cafe in Goodwood Road, SA. I've always wanted to try this cafe ever since I saw it more than a year ago. The first time I saw it, groups of people were lined up outside this small cafe and it didn't even seem open. I though, what was going on. It's pretty strange how so many people would line up outside a closed cafe and couldn't understand why, hence, I was very curious. I never got the chance of eating there since last night and found out why you have to line up way before the cafe is open. For one, they don't take reservations unless your in a group of 6 or more. Second, everyone lines up, seriously, we were 15 minutes early and we were the second couple to line up. Third, by the time the door opened and everyone outside enters the cafe, pretty much all the seats were taken up. It only took maybe another 15 or so minutes before the entire cafe was full. So if you were late, then you'll be left waiting outside and since this is a dessert cafe, you might have to wait for a while. We were the first ones to leave from the original group that entered the restaurant when it opened and we were there for about 30 minutes. Lastly, the desserts were good, can't even tell that they don't have eggs in them, hence the name Eggless Dessert Cafe.

Eggless Tasting Platter for 2

We couldn't pick what to get, so decided to try the Eggless Tasting Platter for 2 (picture above). It was definitely enough to feed 2 people even though it looks small in the photo. Of course, if you're really hungry, one could probably finish the entire thing on their own. I recommend trying their Tasting Platter if you are a first-time visitor to Eggless. The menu changes all the time and by ordering the platter, you will be able to try their popular items without having to pick just one. This platter is from the February Menu 

Crema Catalana & Chocolate Madeleine
If I would rank the dishes on the platter from the best to the least preferred dessert, my favorite of all the four desserts would be the Crema Catalana. It is pretty much the same as a French Creme Brulee and being one of my all-time favorite desserts, this was a sure hit for me. I can't believe that it was egg-less though. It was creamy and full of flavor. The thin caramelised top was done well, it cracked with little pressure from the spoon revealing the tasty custard within.

The Chocolate Madeleine would be my second choice. I think being eggless it wasn't fluffy, instead it was a little bit dense and not as moist, but the chocolate flavor was definitely there. It was like eating a chocolate cake (a small one). It was paired with vanilla ice cream drizzled with chocolate ganache & fresh strawberries.  


Tiramisu & Walnut Tart with Cognac Prunes
My third choice is the Tiramisu. It was creamy and tasted alright even without the eggs. My only comment would be the subtleness of the coffee flavor, there was more chocolate than coffee. I prefer mine to have a stronger coffee flavor since Tiramisu is supposed to have a strong coffee flavor. Besides, it is called Tiramisu or "Pick Me Up" for this reason.

My least favorite is the Walnut Tart with Cognac Prunes. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad tart. I'm just not a fan or nutty dessert and I don't like prunes. It did have a nice taste to it though and the syrup from the Cognac Prunes complimented it very well. I thought the lask of eggs made the cake a little bit dense and dry though. The cream and syrup helped with the dryness but I think I needed more of it to finish the tart.

Overall, I like Eggless Dessert Cafe. It's small and has a friendly vibe. It's quite busy and lively which makes it easy for people to just relax and enjoy their food. The food is surprisingly good specially since it is egg-free. Honestly, you wouldn't really think anything is missing from your favorite desserts when you go here. This is definitely a must-try place even if you love eggs. Their menu is quite diverse that a lot of people with special dietary needs can still eat here. They have vegan and gluten-free alternatives which are quite rare in dessert places. I think they've really captured a niche market being the only cafe in Adelaide that serve desserts without any eggs in it. Thumbs Up to Eggless Dessert Cafe, I would definitely be coming back.

No comments:

Post a Comment